Chronic low back pain
KEY PAIN CONDITIONS
CHRONIC LOW BACK PAIN
Chronic low back pain (cLBP) is defined as pain in the lumbar back region that persists for 12 weeks or longer.1 It has many different causes and often presents in a non-specific manner.1,2 cLBP represents a leading cause of disability, with a pronounced impact on quality of life, and major economic and societal consequences.2
- cLBP is the second leading cause of disability globally.3
- From 2006 to 2016, the prevalence of cLBP in adults has increased by more than 100%.3
- The staggering costs of low back pain (LBP) are comparable to other conditions such as headache, heart disease, depression and diabetes.4
- Risk factors for cLBP include old age, weight gain, genetics and heavy lifting.1,2
- Both nociceptive and neuropathic mechanisms play a part in most cases of cLBP.5 Therefore, this can be classified as a mixed pain syndrome.5
- Medical history and physical examination are predominantly used to identify any serious conditions causing pain. A thorough examination of the back and neurological tests can also be conducted to determine the cause of pain and appropriate treatment.1
Chronic low back pain
Click here to register for CHANGE PAIN® and access in-depth educational resources on chronic low back pain.
1. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Low back pain fact sheet. 2020. Available at: https://www.ninds.nih.gov/sites/default/files/low_back_pain_20-ns-5161_march_2020_508c.pdf. Accessed June 2021.
2. Ehrlich GE. Bull World Health Organ. 2003;81:671–6.
3. Allegri M et al. F1000Res. 2016;5:1530.
4. Maetzel A & Li L. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2002;16:23–30.
5. Morlion B. Curr Med Res Opin. 2011;27:11–33.
6. Hoy D et al. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64:2028–37.
7. Meucci RD et al. Rev Saude Publica. 2015;49:1.
8. Gore M et al. Spine. 2012;37:E668–77.
9. Oliveira CB et al. Eur Spine J. 2018;27:2791–803.
10. Vardeh D et al. J Pain. 2016;17(Suppl 9):T50–69.
11. Müller-Schwefe G et al. Curr Med Res Opin. 2017;33(7):1199–210.
12. Rasmussen C et al. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2005;30(21):2469–73.
13. Varrassi G et al. Curr Med Res Opin. 2010;26:1231–45.